Friday, February 24, 2012

Cosmos Apple Pie from Vegan Pie in the Sky




















I have no idea why it took me so long to buy Vegan Pie in the Sky, since I have the two other books in the same series. The other week when I was over at my friend Hannah for lunch the other week, I flipped through her copy and knew I had to get one myself. It's a beautiful book, and I'm so glad it's in my bookshelf at last. I had already made two recipes from it before,the Pear Frangipane Tart and the Old Fashioned Chocolate Pudding Pie, both 5-star desserts. This week, I invited Hannah over for some apple pie.


















Apple pie, the pies of pies, it was the only reasonable place to start.  I have made quite a few pie-ish desserts in my days, mostly crumbles but also the occasional pie with crust, but I don't think I've ever made one with both a bottom and top crust. Until today. Over all, the pie came out well. The dough was a bit tricky to work with, it was quite prone to crack while rolling it out, and didn't have much elasticity at all. However, I managed to get it together without falling apart and made some decorations with the excess dough. I must say, the crust was the best thing about this pie. It's crispy but oh so tender, and with a lovely mild taste that goes so well together with the apples and cinnamon. On the down side, the pie came out quite watery. This didn't make it any less tasty, but made it look a bit messy when cut.




















I'll definitely make this pie again, and this crust will be used for many fruit and berry pies this year! If you have this book yourself, what recipe is your favorite?

0 comments:

Post a Comment