Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Piyozli qatlama, Uzbek layered bread with onions.


Martin loves everything connected to central Asia. He can spend hours reading about the countries and dreaming about going there, and one country he seems especially attracted to is Uzbekistan. So when thinking about what to make for MoFo I did some research about the Uzbek cuisine. After some time, I found an awesome blog, written by Malika Sharipova, who lives in Uzbekistan. The blog is mainly about traditional dishes and there's A LOT of recipes. She's an omni, so it's naturally a lot of meat since the cuisine is very meat based, but there's a lot of veg*an recipes on there, or recipes that could be veganized very easily. The recipes are very informatively written and pictures to go with them.


I had planned to do a 3 or 4 course dinner with all Uzbek food, but I never got around to it. I'm sure I will make more recipes some other time, but today I settled with one. This bread looked like something I had never seen, eaten or made before, but still very simple and basic, so I thought I'd give it a go. It's called Piyozli qatlama, and is basically a very simple dough filled with fried onions, and pan fried. You'll find the recipe here!


The recipe was very easy and quick to make, and turned out GREAT. Martin was really enthusiastic and I had to agree, it was super! I will definitely make it again, and experiment a bit with different fillings.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! And it doesn't look too hard to make--I definitely want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD. This looks like my definition of heaven. We had an Uzbek dinner as part of my mofo theme and I Loved it. I am definitely eager to explore more uzbeki food. Thanks so much for sharing the link to that website. I can't wait to try this bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah and Amey: Get going, it's SO quick to make and I'm sure you have the ingredients at home.

    Mihl: isn't that weird, when I was eating it, it screamed your name too.

    ReplyDelete